Ultrasound in pregnancy
Pregnant women are advised to scan ultrasound at least twice during pregnancy-
- During the 8 to 14th week of pregnancy, and the second between the 18th and the 21st week.
- The scan done during the early pregnancy is sometimes called a dating scan. Where Sonographer estimates delivery based on the measurement of the child.
- In the dating scan, a dub translucensi (NT) scan can be included, which is a part of the joint screening test for Down syndrome.
On the other hand, it is advisable to take the second scan to all pregnant women, this scan is called an anomaly scan or mid pregnancy scan. Which usually occurs between the 18th and the 21st of the pregnancy. Through this scan, structural abnormalities (discrepancies) are examined in the child.
Some women also advise to do more than two ultrasound scans. Depending on the health of pregnant women and their pregnancy.
The following things can be detected through ultrasound before pregnancy-
- The presence of more than one embryo is detected.
- The exact date of pregnancy (age of fetus) is detected.
- Baby health
- Place of placenta
- Amount of amniotic fluid around the child
- Child’s condition
- Baby weight